Photo by Tom Pietrasik
“In thought faith, in deed courage, in life service.”
These words, inscribed on a pillar outside the Rashtrapati Bhawan, reflect the simple yet powerful credo of Jan Swasthya Sahyog.
To developing a low-cost and effective health program that provides both preventive and curative services in the tribal and rural areas of Bilaspur and surrounding areas of Chhattisgarh in central India. We strongly believe that access to healthcare should not be denied to anyone due to lack of money or due to discrimination on account of caste, sex, religion and social class etc.
We wish to contribute to the health, happiness and well being of the people by:
- Creating a system of primary health care which builds on a continuing and mutually enriching dialogue with the people and derives its strength and long term sustenance from this.
- Providing appropriate rational and low cost health care services delivered with empathy and love. We shall endeavor to make them holistic.
- Identifying problems during our work which demand scientific scrutiny, and working on them on a long term basis.
- Being part of the process of development and rejuvenation of village communities by facilitating efforts to improve education, the environment and the level of sustenance of the people.
We wish to contribute to the sphere of public health in India by:
- Adding to the discourse on public health in India by our experiences in rural Chhattisgarh and our technical, social, and political understanding of them.
- Doing research, which clarifies understanding, examines appropriate solutions which can then be applied by other groups.
- Providing our technical and training skills to people who need them.
- Generating technical literature appropriate to the practice of rural medicine.
We hold dear the following values:
- Honesty, integrity.
- Respect for the poor , the village folk , an understanding of their problems, and an unfailing commitment to them shall inform and permeate all our work.
- Compassion and respect for the wholeness of human beings.